Daymaker - a person who performs acts of kindness with the intention of making the world a better place.
~ David Wagner
, author of Life as a Daymaker; how to change the world by making someone's day ~

DayMaker - any thought, word, or deed that spreads happiness, compassion, or fruitful ideas.
~ Annis Cassells ~

Saturday, October 11, 2014

H is for Hustle to Huntsville



When Women on Wheels® announced Huntsville, Alabama, as the location of the 1999 International Ride-In, I began planning. Huntsville was the trip's centerpiece, but Judy and I made it a comprehensive event by visiting family and friends and doing a bit of sight-seeing in the east.


First, I took off on Big Red and saw relatives in Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan. A couple of weeks later, Judy flew out to visit her brother and his family in Chatham, Virginia. I wound up in Lynchburg, 50 miles north of Chatham, where Judy met me at my friend Peggy’s. The three of us took off on the “Hustle to Huntsville” with Peggy’s car and Big Red as our transportation. Judy and Peggy took turns driving the car and riding two-up with me. If it rained, they both rode in the car.

Driving the rural roads of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama was mostly peaceful, except for a few near misses when folks driving autos weren’t good at sharing the road. In many cases, it was more nerve wracking for Judy or Peggy, driving the chase car and able to only watch as errant drivers crowded Big Red’s space. Well, they did honk, yell, and make wild gestures, but I’ll bet those other drivers paid no attention.

We arrived at the Ride-In site with a few stories to tell our roommates, Sylvia and Trudy, from Bakersfield. Sylvia had ridden in from Missouri, where she’d been working. Trudy had just completed the Four Corners, riding to each of the four corners of the U.S. in 21 days.


From the list of possible lodgings available, I’d reserved a cabin that would accommodate five people. It was a peaceful place near the lake, where Trudy did fish, and there were kitchen facilities to have some of our meals in.  Cool evenings, we relaxed and chatted away on the deck, getting to know each other even better.

With three motorcycles, we could all ride up to the main lodge for Ride-In programs, test rides, and general hanging out with friends from all over the country.  The group excursion to Jack Daniel’s country in Lynchburg, Tennessee, found us sweltering in the July heat and humidity. But that’s just part of the deal. The sights, camaraderie, and laughter make up for barely tolerable weather.

I did take BMW’s new touring bike out for a test ride. It was about the same size as Big Red, and seemed like it would be easy enough to handle. I felt comfortable just sitting on it, but when we began to roll and I looked through the curved windshield, I got woozy. Nearly sick to my stomach, I turned around within a mile. “Back so soon?” the surprised-looking salesman asked.

I nodded my head and handed over the keys, “I can’t ride that bike. The windshield’s curved too much for me.” And that was the last time I took any bike for a test ride.

From the first night, when our Georgia friend June rode an Elvis impersonator into the pool party, to the banquet on our final night, that Huntsville Ride-In was one of the best. It was even sweeter to share with best buds.

~ xoA ~

14 comments:

  1. Except for the heat and humidity, it sounds like you had a great time. Glad you returned the BMW bike as it would have ruined your trip. Love the Elvis pic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. We did have a fine time. We were so so surprised to see "Elvis" enter on the back of our friend's motorcycle. xoA

      Delete
  2. Lovely summer memories -- even the heat. You ARE the DayMaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart, Beth. Yes, there are so many good memories. I am a fortunate woman. Thanks. xoA

      Delete
    2. You are amazing! Always on the go and finding friends wherever you go! Did you have any chance to see the space center while in Huntville? (I'm really not sure exactly what is there, but Brian went to Space Camp there many years ago, and it seemed pretty great!)

      Delete
    3. Joan, I've read about the space camp at Huntsville, but not until after being there for the Ride-In. It would have been fun to see, and I'll bet some of the motorcycle buddies would have enjoyed it, too. Thanks for your comments. xoA

      Delete
  3. 21 days to see all four corners of the US doesn't seem to leave much time for anything but the road. Am I wrong? Is there time between driving to see the sights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Mandy. Not much time for sight-seeing. But, the 21 days starts at the first corner. Trudy rode down to the So.Cal corner, came home and slept, then took off for the WA corner. Two down in about 4 days. Thanks for commenting. xoA

      Delete
  4. Annis, I have to agree with you. With exception to the heat, (one of our hottest) It was a fantastic Ride In. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you women from Georgia who helped plan it all, it was one of the best. Thank you for writing, Toni. xoA

      Delete
  5. I am trying to imagine you and my son-in-law riding your bikes together. remember he is 6'8".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful picture, isn't it. Thanks for stopping by for a read, Terry. xoA

      Delete
  6. Annis, my word, you are the most traveled woman I know. I'm so glad you're back (both in person and in blog).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clarissa. It's good to be home. I appreciate you taking time to read and comment on my blog. xoA

      Delete