Daymaker - a person who performs acts of kindness with the intention of making the world a better place.
~ David Wagner
, author of Life as a Daymaker; how to change the world by making someone's day ~

DayMaker - any thought, word, or deed that spreads happiness, compassion, or fruitful ideas.
~ Annis Cassells ~

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Anytime Review


How’s my life going? Am I the kind of person I want to be? Doing what I’ve set out to do? How can I make life better?

Many of us wait for a milestone, like the beginning of a new year to ask these questions. Some of us begin to think in terms of a life review as we reach a certain age. Others wait for a crisis to heave us into contemplation.  The truth is that ANYTIME is a good time to take an honest look at what course we’ve taken. From there, we can decide if this is the route we intended to take or whether it’s a path that is beneficial or not, in light of our desires, skills, and values.


Doing an Anytime Review* has its advantages.
  • ·         We can get our bearings.  (Where am I right now?)
  • ·         We become aware and have the opportunity to make changes or shifts.  (What next?)
  • ·         We validate what we’ve done and how far we’ve come. (I’m right on track. I’ve done a good job. Or:  I need to make some adjustments.)

In order to lend a structure to the Anytime Review, it helps to have a few guidelines and points to think about. The over-arching question is:  Where am I right now on my journey in life? Finish a few sentence beginnings in your head and jot the sentences down.  This helps narrow  the focus.
  • ·         On my journey, I think . . .
  • ·         On my journey, I am grateful . . .
  • ·         On my journey, I regret . . .
  • ·         On my journey, I feel proud . . .
  • ·         On my journey, I am determined . . .
  • ·         As I continue my journey, I need . . .

When working with the Anytime Review, I choose one or more of the finished sentences from above and write about them in my Journal. I set those aside for a day or so, then return with “new eyes” to read what I thought and wrote.  

This process has led me to forgive myself for actions I regretted from my younger days, something that I didn’t know still bothered me. From the Anytime Review, I’ve been able to express gratitude and visualize where I wanted to go next and what I needed to help me get there.

With life being so unpredictable, it helps to check up on ourselves in an honest, tangible way. We don’t have to wait for a milestone or a landmark occasion. We can do it anytime. How about now?

Wishing you a happy, healthful New Year on your journey.

~ xoA ~


*Adapted from Abe Arkoff. “The Illuminated Life.”

10 comments:

  1. It does seem like 'life events' bring more contemplation about the path we are on. I really like the Anytime Review idea, because we can stop and look inside when emotions are not strained. Thanks for sharing the questions to help narrow the focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Joan. I've found the Anytime Review to be a powerful tool. Feedback from participants in a group situation was all positive. Sometimes tearful, but positive. Thanks for writing. xoA

      Delete
  2. I have been in this process for a few weeks now and I find myself tearful with an overwhelming sadness. This is tough! Trying to find my joy again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a process, Shirley. My hat is off to you for embarking on this part of your journey. May your find peace and your sought-after joy. xoA

      Delete
  3. I'll save this for the New Year. Nothing wrong with Anytime but I've got some thinking to do and I'm letting myself have this last week to procrastinate. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Anna. Procrastinate away! I have a feeling you will kick into gear when the time is right. Thanks for your comments. xoA

      Delete
  4. You've inspired me again, Annis! I think an Anytime Review journal with these questions inside the cover, ready to go whenever needed, is just the thing for me to do as the New Year looms. It can join my gratitude journal as a lovely way to keep balanced. Happy New Year, Annis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Kathleen! I love how you've thought of incorporating the Anytime Review into your practice. Best wishes for a fabulous new year! xoA

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Annis. Great concept! I think this is the perfect time to do it - right before the new year. It gives me a feeling I got a head start on '15!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, John! This exercise IS a great way to begin what we typically think of as a new chapter. Thanks for taking time to read and comment. xoA

      Delete